Saturday, March 19, 2005

It pays to complain.

I was extremely shocked recently, when I went to a dentist to get an estimate for dental implants. I explained that I was there because I had already been to another dentist and was given an estimate, and it was about a 1/4 of my annual income. I was hoping to find a lower estimate. After lots of discussion the dentist told me that he wasn't able to give me an estimate as he would send me out to different places for different parts of the procedure. I was told they would call these places and send me the estimates later.

When I went to pay for the consultation, I almost fainted when I heard how much they wanted. $181.00 for less than 1/2 an hours work!

After 2 1/2 weeks I still had not received the estimates so I called to complain. They arrived a few days later and were astronomical!

I sat down and wrote the dentist a lengthy letter explaining my disgust at the fact he didn't listen to me when I said I didn't have a lot of money. I told him that I wasn't prepared when told the consultation fee, and told him that I felt as though I had been taken advantage of.

Two weeks later his secretary called, but I told her I didn't want to speak to her, I wanted the dentist to speak to me. He called another week later and said he didn't like people to feel unfairly treated and asked me what I wanted. I told him that I thought it was important that I tell him how I felt, so that he was aware of my disappointment, and hopefully he wouldn't treat patients as such in the future. He offered to pay me half the fee back, and to try to get me in to the university's dental implant program. I said that would be fine. Even if he doesn't bother about the university, at least I will be getting $90 back, and thats an acheivement!

No comments: