Monday, March 28, 2005

Spring Cleaning

Well it's about time I got back to work! Having had all this time off, it's almost like I've had a holiday, other than the fact I have been sick! But I am looking forward to getting back to work. Only 3 more months then I am off for 2 months for the summer!!

I decided that I needed to clean my apartment because I probably have all those germs lying in wait until I get healthy again. So I called my friend Beatriz who agreed to come and help me. Before that though, I needed to declutter my place. Yes, I am a pack rat, and decluttering hurts me so bad! I started with my bathroom cupboard under the sink, as it was one of my 101 things to do. I had so much stuff, and put it up on freecycle. I had many responses, but the one from the women's shelter was the one I chose. I called them up and told them to come in 2 days and I would have loads of stuff for them. Now I had a deadline! I am happy to announce that I got rid of almost 30 bags of stuff. But I don't think you can tell by looking at my place, it still looks the same!

If you don't know about freecycle, check it out. There is probably one in your city. You add anything that you want to get rid of, and people will answer and pick it up. Of course you get nothing in return, except knowing that you have given someone something that you once loved. www.freecycle.org is the website, check it out.

Beatriz came over to help me clean on Friday, and we did a great job. We tore up my wall to wall carpet, and washed the floors, and dusted everything. In the midst of it all, my son came home to visit for the day, so he got to help us out too! He was not happy that I tore up the carpet, and I began to agree that it was probably a mistake. But because I had cut in the middle of it, I couldn't put it back! So now I have waxed the parquet floors, and will go and buy an area rug when I get my tax refund! It sure is rewarding though, to get that cleaning behind me. I HATE cleaning.

This has been Easter weekend, and although my son came home for a day, I haven't done anything special. I dropped by my friend Carla's yesterday and took her some flowers. I smelled someone cooking dinner on my floor yesterday, and that was when I realised I missed my family. These holidays are all based on celebrating with family, and with all mine in England I do sometimes feel quite alone.

So as stated in the begining of this post, I am looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow.

No comments: