Sunday, August 23, 2009

Introductory Service

Before internet dating there were introductory services. I’d get about 2-4 names and phone numbers with a profile in the mail each week. We’d phone and talk to see if we had anything in common, to see if there were any sparks, to see if we should meet. Sometimes it was just one short phone call, sometimes many long ones. I was tricked on many occasions when my mind would draw a picture to match the voice, only to be disappointed when we met.

Many of my dates were unbelievable. Many were boring. Few were interesting.

One date I had was with a very nervous man. He picked me up at my building, and that was when I noticed the tic. Also he was about the same height as me. I’m short, really short.

He didn’t have a car, so I thought we’d take a cab. However he wanted to take the local transit. That was okay. We went to the revolving restaurant at the top of the Manulife Building.

He talked about himself all night, not asking about me.

He continued the tic throughout the date. I was afraid that I might end up subconsciously imitating the tic too.

He didn’t order a drink, or anything to eat, and I was afraid that he was going to stick me with the bill. Sure enough when the check came, he just left it on the table. After some time I got up to use the washroom, and slid the check towards him and asked him to pay while I was in the ladies room. When I returned he asked me if I could pay the tip!

While in the elevator in front of others, he suggested that I’d be okay to see myself home.

I was amazed the next day when he called and asked for another date.

No comments: