Saturday, March 11, 2006

March Break

March Break begins.

I am grateful that the school includes March Break for the children and the staff, as usually by this time we are all ready for a break!

Fortunately this winter has been a mild one, but in past years with the dreary February days, our spirits start to decline as we dream of the spring buds and flowers. Winter here in Toronto is long and tiresome, and to have a break in March gives us a chance to rejuvenate and revitalise.

I generally don’t go anywhere at this time, not because I don’t want to, but because I can’t afford to. For teachers our breaks come at high season, Christmas, March break and summer so we seldom get a good deal on a getaway.

So it tends to be a good time for me to do Spring cleaning: out with the old, in with the new. I get the opportunity to go through my closets, and storage area, and purge again. This is sometimes very difficult as I am something of a packrat, and find throwing out perfectly good stuff that I might need at any time a challenge.

I will also get some shopping time in to replace all the junk that I have thrown out! I want to buy a new camera as the old one won’t flash any longer. I did purchase
one already but returned it as the video element on it didn’t record sound. So any suggestions of a reasonably priced digital camera are welcome.

I plan on getting more
scrapbook pages done. Perhaps even a book of my 50th birthday. I have so many old photos that I brought back from my last trip to England, I want to get them organised and put into layouts. Procrastination!

I will go to a couple of movies and perhaps rent a few as well. If the weather stays nice I will take walks around the city to explore a few sites that I’ve not been to in a while. I used to go to
Allen Gardens every March just to get the smell of the tropics in my memory again. It is an amazing greenhouse with beautiful flowers, plants, trees and cactus. There is also a small stream that runs though with a waterwheel and a wishing pond with beautiful goldfish.

I will spend some time in the kitchen trying out a few more recipes from the
cookbook my son gave me as a Christmas gift. I hate cooking, but usually because I don’t like standing in the kitchen at the end of the day. Therefore I have no excuse over the break.

So hopefully I will have lots to report during this break.

2 comments:

Frankie-Alexander said...

I've been meaning to check out Allen Gardens at some point. I suppose I'll make it sometime I hope. =)

Unknown said...

I added you to my Yahoo